- Better differentiate in-arrows from out-arrows.
- Create a better sense of flow from piece to piece, so that the idea of connecting ins and outs would feel more intuitive to young kids and newcomers.
I spent several weeks playing with different shapes for the arrows. I showed them around, and got different opinions from various friends and designers. In the end, I decided that the only way to solve this problem with any degree of confidence was with real-world playtesting. I'd also been needing several more sturdy copies of the draft puzzle so that I could handle larger playtest groups. So, I revised the layout on all the pieces, created two different designs for this next go-round, and ordered one copy of each from puzzle maker Up In Pieces. There were two basic goals for this go-round: